Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pete Randy by Justino Esteves

 

Homotography welcomes photographer Justino Esteves as a special guest contributor with a photo shoot and interview he did with emerging musician Pete Randy. I strongly recommend that you read the rest of this post while listening to Pete’s infectious song, Merman, which you can stream on his myspace.

 

 

Hi handsome, what is your name ?

My name is Pete RANDY :)

 


You accepted to model today, how do you feel about it ?  Did you do it before ?

 

This was the first photo-shoot in my life, by a "real" photographer. I love fashion-photography, beautiful faces where you can tell there's a story behind, but for me, I always feel awkward whenever there's a camera pointing at my face - when I am not performing on stage. I guess this is because I am an insecure boy in general.


There are lots of pictures on my personal sites but those are pictures I took myself, knowing how my face looks at the moment,  what light is the best etc. I guess I like to be in control of everything.

 

 

Where are you from ? and where do you live now ?

 

I have always lived in Antwerp, Belgium, but in September this year I moved to London, kind of chasing that American dream, musically-wise. I live in the east of London which I think is amazing on so many levels; music-scene, going out, fashion etc.

 


You made some amazing tracks that we can predict to be big hits, how do you describe your music ?

 

I would describe my music as a farmer-son on speed with coconuts up his ass writing the new soundtrack for a gay Disney movie. Basically, my music is based on house-beats, with very tropical, carnavalesque melodies over it. It's POP music obviously, and if I may say so, it is intelligent pop music. I am very much of an up-and-down-boy emotionally and if I would write sad music I think I would die out of self-pity, so that's why I write happy, positive, honest music people, and in particular me, can dance to.

 

Dancing is the love of my life and as Madonna once sung "only when I am dancing I can feel this free". It's one of the only moments in my life I feel amazing, on top of things, and powerful, so it's always something I have in mind when I'm writing new music. My lyrics all talk about my discovery of love and progress in life as a 20-year old boy.

 

 

Do you have some favorites artists ? Maybe with who you'd like to work in the future?

 

As a kid being born in the late 80's and growing up in the 90's, I grew up with music like Take That, Venga Boys, Madonna, KYLIE, Kim Wilde, Pet Shop Boys and many other amazing Pop music artists. I had a major indie-obsession when i was about 17 and I think there are still some parts of that left in my own music. At the moment I listen to anything really, from trip hop to italo house to hi-nrg to RnB.


I really hope to one day be able to work with Stuart Price, I love all of his work, or what would be awfully nice as well is  Calvin Harris remixing one of my songs as he did with the Shakira She wolf one. I will die of happiness if Xenomania or Bloodshy & Avant ever show interest in me.

 

 

How do you see yourself growing up in this industry ?

 

I have sooooo much to learn in every possible aspect of this music industry, so I think I have a long and interesting way to go. To be honest I haven't really figured out if I want to stay being in front of everything, maybe I want to write songs for other people. But then again, I can't be away from the stage for too long as it lifts me and my personality up to another stage. I am still young and I am sure that staying active in this scene will show me my way eventually. As long as I stay positive and believe in myself!

 

 

+ visit Pete Randy | Justino Esteves

+ see more Justino Esteves | Music features

No comments: