Thursday, April 9, 2009

Interview With Photographer Joshua McVeity

 

 

As we promised you last week in our model spotlight on Cole Friske, Homotography brings you an exclusive interview with the man behind those photos, Joshua McVeity. Scroll down the post to sample some of this promising young photographer’s work and get to know him a bit better.

 

 

H: Tell us your story with photography, when and how did you start?  

Joshua: I have always loved shooting. I used to assist a photographer in Toronto who told me I should go to school and expand my knowledge and so I ended up at Alberta College of Art and Design as it was the only school in Canada that offers a BofDesign in photography. I am just finishing my fourth year at school, and have been self employed doing photography for the past two.

 

 

H: This one is for the photography geeks, what kind of camera do you use?

Joshua: I shoot with a Canon 5D.

 

 

H: Do you prefer working with solo models or a group of models?

Joshua: I like working with models one on one... I feel I can then give them my full attention and get the most out of them.

 

 

H: Name a couple models/people you'd like to photograph.

Joshua: I would love to shoot Taylor Fuchs! I use to work with him in a restaurant in Calgary here...shoulda done it back then...haha. As well as Simon Nessman... he is amazing!

 

 

H: What photographers currently inspire you with their work?

Joshua: I love the work that Mariano Vivanco is doing.

 

 

H: What do you think of the excessive use of Photoshop these days?

Joshua: I think that we should embrace the future of photography and not forget where it has come from. I think however it should be used as a tool to enhance your work and not be something that one relies on to create a good photo. I think that lighting is the most important aspect of my work.

 

 

H: You are graduating very soon. What's Joshua's career plans for the near future?

Joshua: I love shooting people and I love using natural light! Any work that involves that is work I could enjoy. I am interested in doing editorial work, and will probably be assisting for the first while out of school till I can establish myself.

 

 

Homotography thanks Joshua McVeity for the interview and wishes him all the best in his budding career.

 

 

+ visit Joshua McVeity’s official site

+ see our exclusive interviews with Didio and Ignacio Lozano (aka Black Sheep Boy)

 

No comments: